Sunday, September 22, 2013

Robin Roberts' Journey: My First Birthday

Robin Roberts' Journey: My First Birthday, Bone Marrow Transplant, cancer survivor.

Michael Strahan learned when I was first diagnosed with MDS that many in the transplant community consider the anniversary of their bone marrow transplant to be their new birthday. Well, I'm ecstatic to share with you all that I turn one year old today! It's been exactly one year to the day since my blessed big sister, Sally-Ann, gave me the life-saving gift of a bone marrow transplant.

Unlike my first first birthday -- which of course I don't remember -- this time around I know I will never forget all the people who have reached out to me over the past year. Your words of encouragement, smiling faces, and prayers have carried me through the toughest times. I know that I would not have made it to this milestone without you.

My Momma always said, "Everybody's got something." We all have battles we face or demons we struggle with or challenges to overcome. I feel so blessed to have been able to share my journey and my battle with all of you. It's humbling to hear that it has inspired many of you to tackle whatever adversity you face in your own lives. When fear knocks, let faith answer the door.

That is my birthday wish... that you all find the strength within yourselves to push forward and have people in your lives who will be there to love you through it. That is what I will wish for when I close my eyes and blow out my birthday candles. Or rather, candle.

Light Love Power Presence...and blessings to all. XO





No comments:

Post a Comment